Result of the accreditation process by the Higher Education Assessment and Accreditation Agency (A3ES):
Accreditation validity: 6
Accreditation period:: 31/07/2026
Deliberação by A3ES: ACEF/1920/1002566
Maximum number of admissions: 45
O The Master’s programe in Criminology aims to ensure that students are able, in a multidisciplinary context, to search for concrete solutions to the different sides of crime and criminality, both from the point of view of prevention and from the perspective of intervention and rehabilitation, as well as under the magnifying glass of scientific research, whose complementary articulation with criminal investigation guaranteed by the security forces becomes an added value of this scientific field. The bridge between theoretical rationale and practice is sought to be achieved by the students of the Master’s program in Criminology. In addition to these challenges, there are concerns about the training of our students in ethical and deontological implications, as well as attention to the social component, which, in this field of crime, criminal behavior, and the victim, are highly relevant.
Therefore, it is expected that the achieved knowledge will allow the student to develop in the different fields of Criminology. More specifically, the student is expected to be able to develop competences to:
- ADevelop mechanisms to continuously update the response to new forms of crime;
- Plan/Implement criminological assessment programs at local/community, national level;
- Understand the criminal reality by integrating theoretical knowledge in the writing/issuing of criminological reports;
- Develop/Participate actively in crime prevention programs (primary, secondary or tertiary) in articulation with judicial organisations;
- Develop/participate in projects that integrate inter/multidisciplinary teams;
- Give concrete answers and point out possible solutions, in terms of future criminal policies;
- Plan / carry out scientific research in the field of Criminology, contributing to the advancement of this field;
- Take decisions ethically, reflexively and autonomously, in their field of professional activity.
In this way, the training acquired will enable the student, on the one hand, to reinforce the practical implications of the theoretical knowledge acquired in the meantime, which will favour the greatest possibility of opening up professional opportunities associated with Criminology, enabling him/her, namely, to exercise functions in criminal police bodies, in the prison system, in social reintegration services, in child and youth protection centres, in educational centres for juvenile offenders and in centres for the reception and protection of victims, without forgetting local authorities – such as City Councils and their police and civil protection, as well as Parish Councils. On the other hand, the student will also be able to work at the local community level as well as at the national level with judicial organisations.
Employability and educational success data: PDF
2º Cycle (Master’s Degree) – 4 semesters – 120 ECTS
According Order: Despacho n.º 9073/2018, DR 2ª série n.º 186, de 26 de setembro
Main scientific area: Criminology
The course is taught in the Portuguese language, however some curricular units may be taught in the English language